As the evenings become darker and the days aren’t so warm there is no better feeling than looking out across the pumpkin fields to see all the bright, orange fruits looking back at us, reminding us the last of the summer sun is still shining down and helping to produce wonderful crops. At Lifton Farm Shop October is all about our homegrown pumpkins and celebrating them during the week of Pumpkin Fest.
With over 10,000 turning orange in our fields, PYO pumpkins will be available from Saturday 14th October. Our Pumpkin Fest week starts on 21st October – please see our website for further details www.liftonfarmshop.co.uk
But how did our pumpkins get here?
- Back in May our sowing team tilt the tiny seedlings into the prepared soil beds. They were then watered well to give them the best start.
- During the summer months, the pumpkins take great pleasure of their sunny position, protected from any cold winds that may come through. They also love to drink so this summer has been particularly pumpkin friendly with the constant changes between hot and wet weather.
- As they grow bigger we take extra care that the soil is draining well and no pumpkins are left in puddles which can sometimes lead to rotten bottoms!
- Finally, you may have seen on our Facebook page at the beginning of September the first glimpse of orange!
- Now October is here and the hard work done, we get to watch everyone enjoy the harvest as the pumpkins are plucked and taken off ready for Halloween.
So… join us in celebrating the arrival of Autumn and PYO pumpkins today!